Take a volunteer trip and immerse yourself in a new culture!
March 30 – April 7, 2019
Program fee: $1,499
Join this trip to Guatemala and work with the local community to help improve the housing conditions for families lacking adequate shelter!
In Guatemala, 46 percent of the population has no or inadequate latrine services. Many families cook using an open fire indoors, which contributes to the 52 percent of Guatemalans suffering from respiratory disease. Habitat for Humanity partners with the local community and partner families to improve the living conditions in Guatemala. Homes are designed to suit the needs of each individual family, but typically include a kitchen, living room, bathroom and two bedrooms.
You’ll be staying at a nearby hotel. Breakfast and lunch will be provided. Work site tasks typically include mixing concrete and mortar, pouring concrete, tying rebar, splitting or moving concrete blocks or laying blocks. Off the build site, you’ll have the opportunity to tour the city, visit Mayan ruins and interact with the local community!
- Saturday: Welcome. Arrive in Guatemala City where Habitat staff will greet you at the airport and take you to meet the rest of your team over dinner.
- Sunday: Learn. Travel to the host affiliate where you’ll learn more about Habitat’s innovative work in the region and details about the week’s project.
- Monday-Thursday: Build. Serve on the build site and enjoy free time, reflection and team activities in the evenings.
- Friday: Celebrate. Spend the morning working on the build site followed by a farewell ceremony in the afternoon to celebrate the week’s accomplishments with the community.
- Saturday: Explore. Travel back to Antigua and spend the day exploring the city before enjoying a farewell dinner with your team that evening.
- Sunday: Goodbyes. Continue your journey in Guatemala independently or depart for home.