- Need for Partnership
- Willingness to Partner
- Ability to Pay
- Homeowner Information Sessions
- Equal Housing Opportunity
- Your current shelter has problems with the structure, roof, floor heating and cooling system, water supply, electricity, bathrooms and/or kitchen.
- Your current shelter has an inadequate number of bedrooms as determined by the number, ages and gender of household members.
- Your current neighborhood is unsafe and/or unsanitary.
- All applicant families agrees to perform 300 hours of “sweat equity” constructing homes prior to moving into their Habitat home.
- All applicant families agrees to partner with Houston Habitat to achieve homeownership.
- All applicant families agree to complete the Pre-Closing Program, which includes Financial Counseling, Home Management and Maintenance and other Habitat activities.
- A family must meet minimum household gross income per year depending on family size. Houston Habitat for Humanity families earn 50-80% of the Area Median Income for Houston, Texas as determined by United Stated Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD).
- A family must have the ability to make their monthly mortgage payments.
- You must have satisfactory credit score of 620.
Homeowner information sessions will be held at the Houston Habitat offices, 3750 North McCarty Street, Houston, TX 77029 unless stated otherwise. Those sessions noted as “ReStore” will be held at the Houston Habitat ReStore, 6161 South Loop East, Houston, TX 77087
To attend a Session, please use our Volunteer Hub to register.
Volunteer Hub is set up for registration sign up for all Thursday events through the end of 2017.
For Houston Habitat for Humanity’s Orientation registration, please follow these simple instructions:
Register an account/profile on the system:
CLICK link: http://vhub.at/Homeownership-Orientation
CLICK “Register” or “Create an Account”
SKIP “join code”
CLICK “Homeownership Orientation” for “Group Membership”
COMPLETE the registration form information
CLICK “Next” to view calendar
CHOOSE a session date
CLICK “Homeownership Orientation”
CLICK “Sign up” BUTTON to reserve a seat
ADD “email@example.com” to your email contact list to receive confirmation
LOOK in your email inbox for your event confirmation with location, directions, instructions about the session
2017 Homeowner Information Session Dates
- Thursday, February 23 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Thursday, March 9 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Saturday, March 11 9:00 a.m. 10 a.m. 11 a.m. 12 p.m. (ReStore)
- Thursday, March 23 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Thursday, April 13 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Thursday, April 27 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Thursday, May 11 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Thursday, May 25 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Thursday, June 8 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Thursday, June 22 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Saturday, June 24 9:00 a.m. 10 a.m. 11 a.m. 12 p.m. (ReStore)
- Thursday, July 13 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Thursday, July 27 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Thursday, August 10 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Thursday, August 24 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Thursday, September 14 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Saturday, September 16 9:00 a.m. 10 a.m. 11 a.m. 12 p.m. (ReStore)
- Thursday, September 28 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Thursday, October 12 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Thursday, October 26 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Thursday, November 9 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Thursday, November 30 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
- Thursday, December 14 10 a.m. & 2 p.m.
- Saturday, December 16 9:00 a.m. 10 a.m. 11 a.m. 12 p.m. (ReStore)
- Thursday, December 28 10 a.m. & 4 p.m.
Spanish Homeowner Information Sessions Dates
- Thursday, March 16 Jueves, 16 de Marzo 11 a.m.
- Thursday, April 20 Jueves, 7 de Abril 11 a.m.
- Thursday May 18 Jueves, 18 de Mayo 11 a.m.
- Thursday, June 15 Jueves, 15 de Junio 11 a.m.
- Thursday, July 20 Jueves, 20 de Julio 11 a.m.
- Thursday, August 17 Jueves, 17 de Agosto 11 a.m.
- Thursday, September 21 Jueves, 21 de Septiembre 11 a.m.
- Thursday, October 19 Jueves, 19 de Octubre 11 a.m.
- Thursday, November 16 Jueves, 16 de Noviembre 11 a.m.
- Thursday, December 21 Jueves, 21 de Diciembre 11 a.m.
We look forward to having you join us for an informational session to learn more about how you can become a Houston Habitat partner family!
Houston Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity builder and complies with the Federal Fair Housing Act in the marketing, sale, and purchasing of properties. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for homeownership without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status or gender identity.
- Purchasing a Houston Habitat home is a partnership – not just a mortgage! We offer 3- or 4- bedroom homes to be purchased for qualified Houstonians.
- If you meet the criteria and are selected as a future homeowner, you will be required to complete 300 “sweat equity hours” which include participating in homeownership training classes, in addition building your home and your neighbor’s homes.
- Those wishing to inquire regarding Houston Habitat homeownership program should review the criteria listed below and check our website frequently for future information sessions.
If you are interested in the Houston Habitat program and have reviewed the requirements, the next step is to attend an information session to learn more about our program. Please continue to check our website regularly as information sessions are posted as they are scheduled.
No, we believe in a hand-up not a hand-out. If you meet the criteria guidelines and are accepted into the program, we will invite you to become a Houston Habitat partner family and start our homeownership program. Our homes are sold to qualified partner families with an affordable mortgage.
After attending an information session participants will have the option to submit a mortgage questionnaire. After the vetting process Homeowner Services will contact you.
Sweat equity is an investing our partner families make to become homeowners of a Habitat home. These sweat equity hours build partnerships, pride in homeownership and development of skills and knowledge. Following approval by the Home Services committee, the partner family must complete 300 hours of “sweat equity” before being able to purchase their home. Your family and friends may help work towards your hours. You will be required to work on our construction sites, in the office or at our retail store Houston Habitat ReStore.
Ideally construction of a home begins within a year from the time of approval, and completion of the home will vary depending on our overall construction schedule. The construction process is a complex one with many variables depending on funding sources and the building requirements, and this complexity makes it difficult to predict the length of time from purchase of a property to completion of home(s).
We build three- to four-bedroom, 2 bath single family homes with approximately 1100 square feet. Our homes are energy efficient with central air, pergolas and garage. Our homes are built in the Northeast Houston area. We are able to build to ADA standards at request.
In addition to sweat equity and homeowner classes, we ask families to share their stories. We occasionally get family partners to talk about the program or be featured in media, but we always respect your privacy and wishes. At Houston Habitat we build community by asking you to meet neighbors, get involved in Homeowners’ Associations and becoming a true partner to our program.
Who We Serve
Minimum Household Income
Maximum Household Income